Itchy dog

Posted by elmariachino
May 12, 2008
My friend's dog is getting very itchy, scrubbing and biting himself.
He lives indoor (but go out in the nature several times a day).
There are no fleas or ticks in his fur.
He was showered with ticks and flea shampoo two weeks ago (no bathing since then).
My friend is getting worried about his behavior.
Is it something serious??
Posted by puppylove
May 13, 2008
[B]I'm thinking atopy (skin allergy) or inhalant allergies[/B].... Substances which can cause an allergic reaction in dogs are much the same as those which cause reactions in people including pollens, dust mites and molds, just to name a few. A clue to diagnosing these allergies is to look at the timing of the reaction. Does it happen year round? This may be mold or dust. If the reaction is seasonal, pollens and grasses may be the culprit.

Symptoms of inhalant allergies include: SCRATCHING, BITING, CHEWING AT FEET AND CONSTANT LICKING. The itching may be most severe on feet, flanks, groin and armpits. Dogs may rub their face on the carpet. Ear flaps may become red and hot. Chronic ear infections may follow. Skin becomes thickened, greasy and has a strong odor. Hot spots may develop due to irritation from constant chewing or scratching, which is then followed by infection. Allergies have also been implicated as a possible cause of Acral Lick Granulomas, a frustrating, treatment resistant condition whereby the dog creates a sore on his skin from constant licking.

[B]Could also be a food or flea bite allergy[/B]...Like inhalant allergies, food sensitivities primarily manifest themselves with itchy skin. Other symptoms include anal itching, shaking of the head, ear inflammations, licking front paws, rubbing faces on carpeting and rarely vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence, sneezing, asthma like symptoms, behavioral changes or seizures. Many people don't suspect food allergies as the cause of their dog's itching because their pet has been fed the same food all its life and has just recently started having symptoms. However, animals can develop allergies to a substance over time, so this fact does not rule out food allergies. Another common misconception is that dogs are only sensitive to poor quality food. If the dog is allergic to an ingredient it doesn't matter whether it is in premium food or the most inexpensive brand on the market. One advantage to premium foods is that some avoid common fillers that are often implicated in allergic reactions. Dogs are not allergic to a dog food per say, rather they react to one or more of the ingredients in the food. Some of the most common culprits are beef, pork, chicken, milk, whey, eggs, fish, corn, soy, wheat and preservatives. Many animals are now developing allergies to lamb as well. This was once thought to be very hypo-allergenic, but the more it is used, the more sensitivities are springing up.

[B]Flea allergy[/B]...This type of reaction, again usually severe itching, is not to the flea itself but rather to proteins in its saliva. Dogs most prone to this problem, interestingly enough, are not dogs who are constantly flea ridden, but those who are exposed only occasionally! A single bite can cause a reaction for five to seven days, so you don't need a lot of fleas to have a miserable dog.

To test for flea allergies, a skin test is performed which must be read in fifteen minutes and again in forty eight hours. Unfortunately injections to desensitize are not very effective because it is hard to collect enough flea saliva to make a serum!

For dogs with this problem a strict flea control regime must be maintained. I would caution you, however, against using strong chemical preparations on your dog. Often times the flea control program produces more harmful effects than the fleas, including seizures and skin problems, so please use caution. I recommend a natural product like Sergeant's Nature's Guardian for dogs and puppies, it kills and repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes at some Wal-mart stores. Or Liquid Net for Pets The Ultimate Pet Insect Repellent to repel fleas & ticks this can be purchased at [url=]Liquid Net for Pets The Ultimate Pet Insect Repellent - 12 oz Ready-to-Use[/url]

I would have the dog checked out by a Vet. to see what's going on!!!!
Posted by elmariachino
May 15, 2008
Hello Shelly,

It seems it's an allergy indeed.
Prabably the weather (it's very humide now over here).
All the dogs in the neighbourhoods are getting itchy,
the best thing we are able to do is keep them inside as much as possible.

Thanks for your reply.
Posted by JayStation3
Apr 30, 2009
I was having the same thing happen to my Pit and still have yet to figure out what it is thats causing him to scratch alot. My Vet told me to give him "childrens benadryl" - 1 tab every 4 to 6 hours, untill I can get him in the Vets office to get him tested and see what he is allergic to. So I have been giving him the meds for a week now and they seem to help alot. My dog too is an indoor dog only to go out side occassionally for his walks, but I have done the logic deductions to see if it could be the food or the shampoo or what....and to no avail - I'm stumped! off to the vet we go - next week...
Posted by KOPsarah
Apr 30, 2009
I think it is likely that the problem is an allergy of some sort. Washing daily for a week with an anti itch shampoo may help. Also try feeding bland food such as rice and chicken, rice and chicken based kibble or special skin care kibble. It is also possible that your dog is allergic to a pollen or grass that is seasonal, keeping your dog inside most of the time for a couple of week may help if it is a seasonal pollen. If you are still having trouble your veterinarian can help by trying an antihistamine, diet changes or reaction tests to other possible antigens.